After a jam packed and busy few weeks, our first half of Spring term is almost over. Here’s what we’ve been up to:
- We said goodbye and good luck to Mrs O, who has now had her baby, and we welcomed Mr Bruce, who has joined year 5 and is really enjoying working with Whales class.
- Four year 5’s took part in a maths challenge this week where they battled against 21 other schools from Hertfordshire. They showed amazing resilience, collaboration and determination and should be extremely proud of themselves.
- We became authors and journalists, writing both a story and newspaper article based on the short story ‘Alien Landing’.
- We have been practising our formal methods in maths and are now looking into fractions.
- In PE we have been learning a new dance, as well as working in groups to create our own new dances.
- We have turned into scientists and astronomers looking in great depth at our planet, solar systems and galaxies. Part of this has included us going out and measuring shadows to work out how day and night works, in addition to dropping tennis balls into flour to understand how craters are made on the moon.
- We have also been looking into the artist Kandinsky and have created our own versions of his painting ‘composition 88’.
- Monday 10th & Wednesday 12th: parents evening. This is a good oppurtunity to catch up with your child’s class teacher about their learning. Sign up sheets are up in the corridor near the office, so if you haven’t signed up please do so.
- Friday 14th: fair trade enrichment day. The children will be learning all about fair trade products, particularly what fair trade’s role is.
- Friday 14th: end of term.
- Monday 24th Feb: children come back to school.
- Tuesday 25th Feb: messy church.